Another Goddamm Prison Rant

You're a prisoner and you'll have to mine your way out of the prison.
Use the XP boosters and special tools to rank up faster.

Moderators: Owner, HeadAdmin

ChuckeyTheBear

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:32 am

Ey it's ya boi, the bombastic, fantastic, enthusiastic, spastic, back with another one of those really long rants on the problems with prison (and seeing if we can get a fix). As many of us already know, prison's going to be resetting soon(tm), so I'd also like to use this post as a discussion board for any features we want for the new reiteration of prisons. I'll start by listing the current problems with prisons (in my opinion), as well as possible ideas for fixes. I'll stick my suggestions at the bottom. Also if you guys didn't know, I got demoted and banned for alting :D, so defer to baeconHeart for prison administrative needs (because they're the only staff member who really moderates prison).

1: The hacker problem.
Again, this is the biggest problem by far on prisons. I'm going to divide this section into 2 main parts, the problem with hacking in pvp, and the problem with hacking while mining.

1A: PvP hacks.
Anyone who's remotely involved in PvP knows the pain of hackers in PvP. Prisons also experiences this problem, but in the extreme. For hackers, prison is a perfect place to hack. PvPmine was originally supposed to be a place where the risk to reward ratio should be extremely high. You risk your life and items to obtain coveted ores such as diamond and emerald, which can be sold for high prices. But when you're able to kill anyone with ease, the risk portion of PvPmine becomes a nonfactor, and you're able to obtain large amounts of money with extreme ease, which in turns translates into stronger items, such as god apples and protection 4 armor, which allows you to essentially guarantee your victory, when combined with hacks such as Kill aura, noslowdown, and bunnyHop. This ruins any incentive to even take part in the PvP scene of prisons, these hackers make any fight unenjoyable, and even when they get banned, they simply come back, and within a few hours, they're able to kill even the best players with ease again. Not only that, other times hackers play together, with a main player making money and keeping weapons and armor for the other hackers, and when they get banned, they simply get more weapons and money from the player with all the resources, and continue hacking.
Solving this problem.
At this point, you can't. Without dedicating hundreds of hours into recording, reporting, and waiting for each hacker to come on, this cycle of hackers in PvP won't change. And it's unreasonable to demand such a large scale effort on a server that has a relatively low player count. Hackers and storage accounts are too ingrained on this server to root out. But if early action is taken, we can prevent this from happening on the new prison server. Creating a cool down on creating accounts on the ip address would help, inducing more senior staff members on prison to moderate PvP would help, making combat items harder to get on prison would help, banning ips with multiple accounts with multiple bans would help. I'm sure there's many more things that could be done to combat this problem, but you get my point. Hackers need to be prevented from taking root on the new prison reset, and there's quite a few things that can be done to help stop hackers.

1B: Mining hacks
This is perhaps the most frustrating part to longtime prison players. Players who invest hours upon hours of mining, only to be overtaken by players who've joined less than a day ago. Very recently, we wrapped up an extreme case of this type of hacking, LordxGrim. LordxGrim was the first person to reach the esteemed [Free] rank on prison. He was then banned for a variety of reasons, Refusal to do a screenshare, and an explicit video of him mining with his hacked client. LordxGrim spent at a minimum, 3 months hacking with that hacked client, and wasn't even caught by a staff member, but a normal member who risked getting his own account banned by downloading the hacked client to gain their trust. It took the combined efforts of 7 people and a (former)jrHelper to finally get him banned permanently. And this was after almost 3 months of him explicitly hacking and ranking up faster than anyone else. Meanwhile there are quite a few other players, who play on the same ip address, who are thought to be using the same hacked client. These players are easily identified by the fact that they're all extremely high ranks in a relatively short amount of time, usually less than 100 days. They outstrip any of the longtime miners by a mile, causing frustration, curses, and a broken pencil. (long story).
Solving The Problem
From what I personally know, there are 2 different types of auto mining. The first is a type called "nuker", which mines all blocks of a specified type in a radius around the player, usually their normal reach. It's extremely obvious, as their head will snap from block to block, and a perfect circle of broken blocks will slowly appear around them. They also tend to be able to carry out impossible actions, such as mining blocks through other blocks, or hitting a block that's behind a player. While checking for impossible actions sounds easy to check for, it really isn't, and even if it were, it wouldn't be foolproof, as impossible interactions are common in high latency environments. I leave it to the head programmer to find a solution to this problem. The second type of auto mine is simply called "automine". It's found on a certain client that I won't release the name of (for obvious reasons), and mines perfectly in a 4x2 tunnel. All the player is required to do is walk forward, and that's easily bypassed by the fact that that same client has a feature that automatically walks forward. A good way to combat this would be to somehow implement a check for tunnels dug in a 4x2 configuration (record the first block mined, and then check all subsequent blocks mined to see if it conforms to that 4x2 pattern), and alert staff members in the staff discord to see if they're able to come online to either watch the player mine in /v, or screenshare them.

2: Lack of inventive to rankup.
Currently, all ranking up provides you is a slight boost to your income, and some new blocks. Seeing as how getting [Free] is nearly impossible without hacking or third party help, getting a plot also isn't much of an incentive. People would much rather sit on 10 billion than rank up from U to V, because V mine has nothing special, and 10 billion can be used to buy cool stuff. The incentive of having access to higher tier cell blocks is also removed, due to the fact that every single cell block seems to be taken already (even the ones in cb3), and they've been prerented for months if not years. Being able to afford weapons, armor, and combat items are also worthless after rank O, as at that point, you already have more than enough money to make weapons, armor, and get combat items such as god apples. Ranking up simply isn't worth it. You lose a large amount of ready cash, and many times, at higher ranks, you fall off of the ranks of baltop. You lose so much in exchange for a new letter next to your name and a small income boost. Also I've got some really good garlic bread. You wish you had some of this.
How To Fix It
I've actually got no idea outside of adding more content to prisons. Seriously. I've thought about this for a while and I can't think of anything.

3: /ah And Giving Money
A side effect of the absolute fudgefest that is mining hacks in prison is that random people getting extreme amounts of money in short amounts of time. Not long after LordxGrim began hacking, prison started seeing a huge amount of people reaching rank S and higher. This is partly due to people using mining hacks, and partly due to people getting money from hackers. Before he was banned, LordxGrim was offering 300Billion to buy a rankup from elite to extreme, and rumor has it that he casually payed 100Billion for an unban. He gave hackers large amounts of money, gave his friends large amounts of money, and destroyed the will of any remaining players to mine. It also sparks extreme cases of false positives. I spent almost 2 months of mining to reach rank S. Someone casually got to rank T in less than 2 days on the server. Giving money is a problem that needs to be changed.
The (theoretical) Solution
Limit the amount of money each player can exchange every day, based on their rank. For example, at the start of the day, if player A is rank A, he can only exchange $100 that day, regardless of if he ranks up. So if he sells something for $50 and then gives $50 to his friend, he cannot exchange any more money for that day. If someone else gives him $100, he cannot exchange any more money for that day. The next day, player A has been working hard, and managed to reach rank F. For that day, his money exchange cap is set to rank F's which could be something like $500 (i'm just randomly coming up with numbers, it would probably be something more like 5% of the money required to rankup). This would limit the amount that players could be boosted to, and make helping people limited to the people near the rank they're at. Another important thing would be to make it so that people cannot sell things that are in other mines. Someone from rank Z can't just give a rank A player a stack of diamonds to sell to bypass the money exchange cap. This would require a few extra methods in the economy class, but I think it would be extremely feasible and realistic to implement. Just a few minutes of coding :kappa: .

4. Haste 2
My last post asked for a sort of co-op beacon in each mine that players could pay to active haste 2. I was oneupped and they turned on permanent haste 2, but only for mines T and above. I personally think that's quite unfair to lower ranks, I wanted haste 2 to be an investment, where players made a trade off to get haste 2, and by not using it for the full duration, you would be wasting it. Instead I got a permanent perk for high ranks. But it's daijoubu (translators note: means "ok"), I know how to fix it.
"Senpai How Will You Fix This Tragedy?"
The most constant thing in prison is the time investment. To look at it from an alternate angle, each mine costs a certain amount of time, that can be measured by looking at the value of the blocks, the amount of time it takes to mine each block, and the amount required to rankup. So all the time you don't spend mining means you rankup slower. So I propose that the ingredients to brew water breathing potions be added to the game, and add the ability to trade water breathing potions for haste 2 potions, so that it still remains an investment to make haste potions, and it's a scaling investment that remains relevant throughout higher mines. By taking time to brew water breathing potions, you spend the time you would have spent mining not earning money, creating an investment, where you invest in haste 2 to eventually mine more efficiently.

Conclusion
Holy cow this turned out longer than expected. I start school in 2 weeks, and I just spent almost 2 hours writing this up. Thanks for taking the time to read this. For those of you who are worried, I'll be reapplying for jrHelper in 100 days, so be on the lookout for that <3. If you have anything to say, anything to suggest, or want to laugh at me for getting banned, comment section. That's all I've got to say, thanks for reading!

ChuckeyTheBear

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:36 am

Oh ya crates still suck Dieu Plz Fix <3

ChuckeyTheBear

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:43 am

Image Also this thing still exists to lag cb2. Plox Fix

BE4NOS

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:45 am

+1

butterfly_21

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:46 pm

chuckeythebear wrote:
The second type of auto mine is simply called "automine". It's found on a certain client that I won't release the name of (for obvious reasons), and mines perfectly in a 4x2 tunnel. All the player is required to do is walk forward, and that's easily bypassed by the fact that that same client has a feature that automatically walks forward. A good way to combat this would be to somehow implement a check for tunnels dug in a 4x2 configuration (record the first block mined, and then check all subsequent blocks mined to see if it conforms to that 4x2 pattern), and alert staff members in the staff discord to see if they're able to come online to either watch the player mine in /v, or screenshare them.

I do know people who mine 4x2 legit, even tho I personally find it to be slower than mining 3x2, so it would be prone to bringing up false positives.
chuckeythebear wrote:

How To Fix It
I've actually got no idea outside of adding more content to prisons. Seriously. I've thought about this for a while and I can't think of anything.
Add prestige mines (for the new prison) which is a good excuse to copy and paste the original mine and reuse it while providing more content at the same time.

Also, you should probably make ranking up more balanced. A-N shouldn't be achievable on day 1, and mines like Y shouldn't take weeks to rank up. (for new prison)
chuckeythebear wrote:

2: Lack of inventive to rankup.
Currently, all ranking up provides you is a slight boost to your income, and some new blocks.
'Slight boost' can mean doubling or tripling your income.

For example, the mine I'm currently in, Z, earns me about 1250 mil per minute compared to Y which earned by about 500 mil per minute. This is a very good 2.5x increase that is a great incentive to ranking up to Z.

However, other mines such as Y compared to X do not provide such increased income boosts and thus many people stop mining due to perceived 'notworthitness' to rankup to a mine that gives only a slight income boost.
chuckeythebear wrote:

"Senpai How Will You Fix This Tragedy?"
The most constant thing in prison is the time investment. To look at it from an alternate angle, each mine costs a certain amount of time, that can be measured by looking at the value of the blocks, the amount of time it takes to mine each block, and the amount required to rankup. So all the time you don't spend mining means you rankup slower. So I propose that the ingredients to brew water breathing potions be added to the game, and add the ability to trade water breathing potions for haste 2 potions, so that it still remains an investment to make haste potions, and it's a scaling investment that remains relevant throughout higher mines. By taking time to brew water breathing potions, you spend the time you would have spent mining not earning money, creating an investment, where you invest in haste 2 to eventually mine more efficiently.
This is definitely needed in mine X, where eff V without haste II does not provide for instant break on clay, thus requiring a eff vi pick that constantly needs to be /fix-ed.
chuckeythebear wrote:

Solving this problem.
At this point, you can't. Without dedicating hundreds of hours into recording, reporting, and waiting for each hacker to come on, this cycle of hackers in PvP won't change. And it's unreasonable to demand such a large scale effort on a server that has a relatively low player count. Hackers and storage accounts are too ingrained on this server to root out. But if early action is taken, we can prevent this from happening on the new prison server. Creating a cool down on creating accounts on the ip address would help, inducing more senior staff members on prison to moderate PvP would help, making combat items harder to get on prison would help, banning ips with multiple accounts with multiple bans would help. I'm sure there's many more things that could be done to combat this problem, but you get my point. Hackers need to be prevented from taking root on the new prison reset, and there's quite a few things that can be done to help stop hackers.

Just need more staff to be honest that are on the server to moderate the pvp.
chuckeythebear wrote:
Also I've got some really good garlic bread. You wish you had some of this.
Yum

boemstijn

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:53 pm

+1 , and i have a little suggestion
do something about cta, its too hard to start without getting muted.
and maybe make it so at idk extreme rank or elite u CAN rename original items but idk , after all big +1

FreakRain

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Add in custom enchants Such as explosive , haste , night vision , drill

awab4444

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:26 pm

how do I get a cellblock in the warp?

FreakSaibot

Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:29 pm

K

• Information